Saturday 15 June 2013

My first quilt!

So it has been a very crafty weekend so far! My boyfriend had to work all day today which meant I could I have a full day crafting without feeling too guilty...which has resulted in my first ever quilt! I was inspired by so many blogs who make truly beautiful quilts. As all the blogs told me, I decided to start with a simple design and followed the brilliant, easy to follow, tutorial by Flossie Teacakes found here.

I just used scraps of fabrics as I was wary in case I went wrong but I'm delighted with the result! (you might recognise the backing of turquoise spots from the skirt I made last month). I cut all the panels last night and finished it today which was quite impressive...I guess it took me 10 hours in total.





 

I will definitely make this quilt again and would love to buy some fabric that matches a little better (I'm very jealous of the lovely ones Flossie uses in her tutorial). Also I wanted a padded quilt and thought my wadding looked quite thin so used 2 layers of it...but my sewing machine definitely didn't like this and I could only get really small uneven stitches. It also meant the squares didn't lie flat when I was sewing the panels together which meant some are quite bumpy. Next time I'll settle for just 1 layer!

Well I've definitly learnt a lot and I'm happy with my first attempt. I will also be able to now appreciate the time and effort it takes to quilt, especially the really detailed intricate designs.

And here are a few photos from the making process...

 

 

 

 

Now when can I next have a trip to the market for more fabric......xx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment